5 Alarm CrossFit is proud to partner with Illinois State University and their Kinesiology and Recreation (KNR) program. Through this partnership, KNR students can partake in an internship here at 5 Alarm. Over the course of the semester students will learn not only CrossFit’s methods, but our particular take on those methods, as well as gain exposure to other behind-the-scenes aspects of running a gym-based small business.
Our current intern is Cedric Miller. Cedric surprised all of our coaches when he jumped into classes head first. His eagerness to learn and help out around the gym has made our first full-time intern experience a great one. If you still haven’t had a chance to meet him, be sure to introduce yourself the next time you see him in the gym!
Cedric got a taste of nearly every sport there was when growing up. He played t-ball (but never went on to baseball), hockey, basketball, soccer, and football. Once attending Oswego High School, he decided to stick to playing football, wrestling, and recreational weightlifting. His love for sports and living an active life lead him to pursue a degree in Exercise Science from Illinois State University, which ultimately introduced him to CrossFit with the start of his Senior Internship.
Education, Certifications, Recreational Athletic Experience
– Currently working toward a Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science from Illinois State University
– 50-Hour Internship at Orthopedic and Sports Enhancement Center
– First Aid/CPR/AED Certified
– Played football and wrestled in High School
Favorite Thing About CrossFit (So Far)
– The intensity and how it pushes me harder than what I’m used to doing.
– Anything coming out of a smoker – Good Ol’ American BBQ.
Least Favorite Food
Favorite Hobby Outside of Exercise
– Other than exercise, I really enjoy making food; cooking, grilling, smoking, baking, you name it.
One Thing About You Most People Don’t Know
– Prior to the start of my internship, I had never been into a CrossFit gym or done a CrossFit style workout.
What do you hope to do with your degree?
– My plan is to continue school and become a Physical Therapist.